Importance of Periodontics in Houston
Every time dental experts extrapolate in the need for proper oral care, many people take it to mean teeth care. While that is included, it is not the only aspect of dental health care. Taking care of your oral needs means addressing the needs of your entire mouth, including the gum tissue. Everything that happens to your teeth consequently impacts the rest of your mouth.
What is Periodontics?
It is a specialty of dentistry that is concerned with the care and health of the gum tissue. It is a treatment offered to patients suffering from gum disorders.
The gum tissue is a very sensitive part of the human mouth. A mere accident can cause bleeding and significant discomfort. It is why anyone must seek out for periodontal treatment in Houston, TX, the instant they detect problems with their gum tissue.
More About Gum Disease
Gum disease is the primary concern of periodontics. Periodontists specialize in the periodontal tissues and their behavior over different phenomenon. Gum disease is a disorder of the gum tissue that causes an infection. Technically, the disease attacks the gum tissue in different stages:
- Gingivitis – is the initial stage of gum disease. It features some sores on the gum tissue, pain, and mild bleeding. At this stage, very few people recognize the need for periodontal therapy in Houston, since the signs and symptoms are not usually pronounced.
- Periodontitis – This is the advanced stage of gum disease. It happens when gingivitis has not been treated, and therefore, the infection keeps spreading. It is a critical stage of the disease that has significantly evident symptoms. At this stage, the infection puts your entire mouth at risk. Severe cases of periodontitis even result in bone loss as well as falling off of teeth. This crucial stage needs to be treated before the damage caused is irreversible.
What Are Some of The Symptoms of Gum Disease?
Depending on which stage of the disease you are at, the symptoms will be different. Some of the common ones are as enlisted below:
- Sore and tender gums
- Pain when chewing and clenching teeth together.
- Bleeding gums – usually experienced when brushing teeth or even biting into hard foods.
- Receding gums – the gum tissue detaches from the teeth little by little. The best way to notice this is by checking the length of your tooth, and whether or not the root is exposed.
- Recurrent mouth sores – if you have mouth sores that won’t go away, it could be as a result of gum infection.
- Wobbly teeth – this is often for the severe cases of periodontal disease. The roots of the teeth become so exposed that the stability is lost. This is where some patients can even lose teeth to the disease.
Why Do You Need Periodontics?
Periodontal treatment is an important part of dental care that cannot be tossed aside. The health of the gum tissue is paramount in proper oral health. Some of the benefits of this treatment include:
- Strong teeth – while you may not always acknowledge it, the gum tissue plays an important role in stabilizing and supporting the teeth. The gums work together with the jawbone to hold teeth in place. Proper care for them, is, therefore, necessary for strong teeth.
- Improved oral hygiene – periodontists also help cater to your oral hygiene needs. Teeth scaling and professional teeth cleaning are part of the treatment options. In the end, having a clean mouth ensures proper oral health.
- Controls and mitigates infection – the infection on your gum tissues continues to build-up and spread as the disease progresses. Overlooking this puts the rest of your mouth at risk of infection, including teeth, tonsils, and throat. Getting rid of the infection ensures your overall health is considered and sustained.
- Improved smile – a beautiful smile is more than having beautiful teeth. You will only appreciate it when you realize the difference the gums make in a beautiful smile. In the same way, a gummy smile is not attractive to look at, receded gums are also not aesthetically appealing. Periodontics improves how your gums sit in the mouth, giving you a beautiful smile.
- Brighter teeth – the processes of teeth scaling and professional cleaning will tremendously improve the color of your teeth.