Orthodontic Braces For Adults
A straight,well-aligned, white set of teeth produce a brilliant and perfect smile. Your smile helps you build positive self-esteem and confidence. Crooked and misaligned teeth affect your smile and your bite at large. Crooked and misaligned teeth cause a malocclusion, the improper alignment of your teeth. This can lead to discomfort while chewing or biting, changes in your speech and pronunciation of words, frequent biting of your inner cheeks and tongue, and changes in the appearance of your face. Fortunately, crooked or misaligned teeth can be treated with adult braces near you through a branch of dentistry called Orthodontics. Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of crooked, malpositioned teeth and jaw, and misaligned bite patterns. A popular orthodontic treatment procedure in dentistry is the use of dental braces.
Dental braces are orthodontic devices that straighten, align, and help position the teeth to fix malocclusion issues and gaps between the teeth. A couple of years ago, the thought of dental braces could only be linked to teenagers and adolescents trying to possess the perfect smile. However, in the past few years, a lot of things have changed and the number of people with braces over the age of eighteen has continued to climb. Dental braces are mainly used to correct malocclusions, crowded and crooked teeth. These dental irregularities have adverse effects on your facial aesthetics and even your dental health.
Causes Of Crooked Teeth
The causes of crooked teeth include:
- Genetics: Your genes make up for most of your physical features. If you have parents who had crowded or crooked teeth, there is a high possibility that you would have the same. The size of your mouth also influences your teeth. If you have a small mouth as a result of your genes, this can lead to overcrowding of your teeth which can cause malocclusion
- Accident: Playing contact sports and some work hazards can make your mouth prone to injury and this ultimately affects your teeth. A serious blow to the mouth can cause your teeth and jaw to shift if it does not knock out some teeth. Also, if a tooth is knocked out due to trauma to the face, the remaining teeth tend to shift in the direction of the empty gum. This is to make up for the extra space in the mouth.
- Bad oral habits: A poor oral habit also makes up for quite a several teeth defect. It is even worse when these habits are developed from childhood because the teeth in childhood are still developing. A common habit known in babies and toddlers is thumb sucking. Prolonged thumb sucking can lead to crooked teeth, malocclusion, and overcrowding of the teeth. It can also affect the roof of the mouth ultimately leading to speech problems.
Crooked and misaligned teeth if not treated can lead to:
- Cracked teeth.
- Discoloration of the teeth.
- Fractured teeth.
- Tooth sensitivity.
If you are an adult looking to get Adult braces in Houston, TX, there are a lot of dental braces to save the day.
Types Of Braces
There are different types of braces and they include:
- Metal Braces. This type of braces is the most common and is the first one to pop up when considering braces. This type of braces is made to fit by tying wires around the braces and teeth. These are tightened and they help to shift the teeth into place.
- Clear Aligners. These are invisible trays that help to shift the teeth into position. They are worn for about twenty to twenty-two hours daily and are used for discreet orthodontic treatments.
- Ceramic Braces. For adult braces in Houston, ceramic braces are like a combination or mixture of options. They are a combination of clear ceramic brackets and wires put together to make braces less conspicuous like clear aligners while maintaining the effectiveness of the traditional metal braces.
Other types of braces include self-ligating braces and lingual braces. These are under the popular types of adult braces, however, they have been designed and customized for effectiveness. Brands like Propel and AcceleDent have created systems to help adult braces work faster.
Braces are excellent orthodontic devices that can help you turn your teeth into that perfect set you desire.